Lancaster’s own royal returned to the city on May 29 2019 to join in three special celebrations.
Princess Alexandra, who became founding Chancellor of Lancaster University 55 years ago, officially opened the new Community Fire and Ambulance Station and visited residents of Penny’s Hospital Almshouses and Westfield War Memorial Village..
Trustees, residents and wardens welcomed the Princess to Penny’s Hospital, which was originally built by William Penny in 1719 for 12 poor old men and is run by Lancaster Charity. She unveiled a commemorative plaque and was presented with framed old and present-day photographs of the historic property as a keepsake.
Half-a-century on, it was a return meeting for the Princess and Roger Carradice, chairman of Lancaster Charity trustees. He reminded her that the last time they met was 50 years ago when she conferred his degree at Lancaster University.
Alan Sandham JP